Your shopping cart is empty. Please log in to see your recent orders. Or explore our current coffee offering.

Ethiopia Buku
Ethiopia Buku
Roast Level 1 - Light

A sky-high grown Ethiopian coffee

Classic Ethiopian fruit and florals

According to legend, coffee was first discovered by an Ethiopian goat herder named Kaldi around 700 AD. When he noticed his goats acting livelier after grazing on wild coffee cherries, he quickly realized the potential of the plant. He shared his findings with local monks, who began to utilize the plants energizing qualities to stay up for late night prayer. From there, popularity spread. Coffee is now grown in many regions of the world, but the origin of all coffee plants can be traced back to the ancient coffee forests of the Ethiopian plateau. 

This lot comes to us from Isayas Beriso, a 35 year old coffee farmer and owner of the Buku Washing Station. Isayas grew 90% of the cherry for this lot on his own farm. The other 10% was collected from neighboring growers. It is comprised of a single heirloom varietal, Dega, that is native to the region. Because there are countless varieties of coffee in Ethiopia, it is rare and interesting to see a micro-lot of a single variety. Combined with the exceedingly high elevation, this leads to a clean and complex cup. 

 On the cupping table, we tasted tropical fruit notes complimented by delicate florals. Dial in by starting with a 1:16 brew ratio, filtered water at 208-210℉, a medium grind, and a 3-3.5 minute brew cycle. 

 

Yellow

Bright, vibrant yellow coffees offer refreshing and effervescent flavors found in meyer lemon, pineapple, and mango.

Top sellers
Colombia + Brazil

Mass Appeal

$17.00
Colombia + Brazil

Mass Appeal

$17.00

Milk Chocolate, Sugar Cookie, Creamy

Mexico + Colombia

Thesis

$16.00
Mexico + Colombia

Thesis

$16.00

Chocolate Chip Cookies, Brown Sugar, Sweet

Colombia + Washed Ethiopia

Destroyer

$17.00
Colombia + Washed Ethiopia

Destroyer

$17.00

Creamsicle, Peach, Bright

Mexico

Antithesis

$16.00
Mexico

Antithesis

$16.00

Dark Chocolate, Molasses, Creamy

Guatemala

Synthesis

$16.00
Guatemala

Synthesis

$16.00

Dried Cherry, Caramel, Smooth

Chiapas

Decaf EA Mexico

$17.00
Chiapas

Decaf EA Mexico

$17.00

Chocolate Candy Bar, Sweet Cherry, Rich